They are the ultimate conspiracy theories – the beliefs that the earth is flat and that economies are not cyclical.
The Flat Earth Society (a movement that is active and growing today) finds the notion of a horizontal earth far more plausible than a round planet perched on an axis. To their members, gravity is an illusion and objects are not pulled down, but rather continually accelerate upward.
Adopting this notion requires one to reject all prevailing scientific wisdom and research. And despite centuries of empirical evidence, some Flat Earthers believe that one could literally walk off the end of the world.
Those who think the current bull market will continue to rise without a crash or major correction are equally illogical. Despite generations of economic theory, Blind Faith Bulls have sunk most of their net worth into equities on the unquestioning belief that stocks will climb unabated.
Flat Earthers and Blind Faith Bulls Share a Common Suspension of Disbelief…
[Read more…] “Flat Earthers and Blind Faith Stock Market Bulls – What Do They Have in Common?”
I recently promised to answer two questions we’ve been getting…
When will the next market crash happen? And what will cause it
As the physicist Niels Bohr noted,
Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”
But here are five things we do know…
- Last month we entered the longest-running bull market in history, at 9½ years
- No bull market has ever made it to its 10th birthday
- The second-longest bull market was the dot-com-fueled rally of the 1990s which caused investors losses of nearly 80% when it flamed out
- While there’s no guarantee this bull market will crash before it hits its 10th birthday in early 2019, we do know that, historically, the longest-running bull markets go out “with a bang, not a whimper”
- As the experts who study behavioral finance note again and again, we humans have an enormous capacity for forgetting the lessons and pain of past crashes, and most people will be as woefully unprepared for the next crash as they were for the previous ones
Let’s Look at What Will Cause the Crash…
There are a number of things brewing that might trigger the next collapse. Take your pick: [Read more…] “When Will the Next Market Crash Occur… and What Will Cause It?”