The results of our “guess what the Stock Market will close at on the day after the election” contest are in!
We had almost 150 entries (I’m surprised there weren’t more – it was an easy way to win up to $500!).
Most people who entered guessed high – often way high. And the range of guesses was enormous; the Dow closed at 12,932.70, but the guesses ranged from 10,000 to 16,000! Which points out the sheer unpredictability of the stock market, which has barely budged for the past 13 years. (Ready to say goodbye to the roller coaster ups and downs of stocks and other volatile investments? Request your FREE Analysis and find out how much your financial picture could improve if you added Bank On Yourself to your financial plan.)
And the winners were…
- Bill Liebler – who was within about 12 points of where the Dow closed – won a $250 Amazon Gift Certificate. I interviewed Bill in my New York Times best-selling book in chapters 7 and 10. Among other things, Bill uses Bank On Yourself to fund his daughter’s college education. To learn more about why Bill thinks Bank On Yourself beats using a 529 plan, UGMA or other government sponsored plan, check out this article and video.
- And Jim Vana was the other winner of a $250 Amazon Gift Certificate for coming the closest (within 1 1/2 points) of where the S&P 500 closed.
And thanks to all who participated!
Here were the simple contest rules…
1. Post your guess of what the Dow and/or S&P will close at, on Wednesday, November 7, the day after the election, in the comments box below.
2. The person who comes closest to guessing where the Dow actually closes will win a $250.00 Amazon.com Gift Certificate, and the person who comes closest to guessing where the S&P 500 closes will win a $250.00 Amazon.com Gift Certificate. You can take a guess on both indexes and win $500.00 if both of your entries come closest.
3. In the event of a tie, the winners will split the prizes(s)
4. Only one entry per person is allowed and be sure to include a correct email address, so we can send your Gift Certificate to you if you win (your email address will not be published).
5. Only U.S. residents over age 18 qualify to win
6. Your entry must be posted in the comments box at the bottom of this blog post by midnight, Wednesday, October 24, 2012 to qualify
Note: We’d also love to hear if you’re in the stock market or out of it now – and why – so feel free to add a comment about that when you post your entry in the comments box below, along with your guess for what the Dow and/or S&P 500 will close at on Wednesday, November 7.
Please note that all comments are moderated, which means there will be some delay before your entry/comment appears.
Are you tired of playing guessing games when growing your nest egg?
Keep in mind that Bank On Yourself is based on an asset that has grown by a guaranteed and predictable amount for more than 160 years – no matter what was happening in the stock and real estate markets. The growth is much greater then you can get today in a CD, money market account or annuity – but without the risk of stocks, real estate, gold, commodities and other volatile investments.
So if you want to stop rolling the dice on your financial future and find out what the guaranteed value of a plan custom tailored for you would be on the day you want to tap into it – and at every point along the way – request your FREE Analysis now to find out!
Well lets see….I will guess that the stock market likes OBama(can’t figure that one) and dislikes Romney soooo:
Dow Jones will be:12785.61 and the S&P will be at 1324.50.
Yes I don’t understand two things about the market…1) How can this market be so high when all finances in this country are so bad)
Obama to lose and stocks down.
Only 10% in stock market
Dow will close at 13,555
Dow==13200, S & P==1400
Post election. Dow 13,672, SP 1472, with all the turmoil I mostly out of the market.
NOTE: I’m still in the stock market, but mostly out of the US dollar – holding very little in the US. I’m thinking about completely liquidating everything, but the “tax hit” is steep. If the market peaks and my portfolio recovers somewhat, then I may revisit the liquidation idea.
Dow will close at 12,945.51 and s & p will close at 1,401.35
obama wins dow closes 13000. s&p closes 1400
romney wins dpw close 13500 S&P closes 1450
A lot will depend on who gets elected. Not sure by the contest if it is the day after election close or opening of that next day, but assuming it is day after election close. If R/R win, then I’m probably low, if BO/JB win, then I think mine is correct. I’ve been of the belief that BO will get reelected since so many polls don’t factor in Gary Johnson and I think the Libertarians will get 10-15% of the vote, question is will it be taking from R/R or will it be split given how many young folks that voted for BO are disillusioned by his policies and lack of jobs.
Dow – 12945
S&P – 1355
Hope I win – $500 would go a long ways for Christmas shopping!!
On wednesday November 7, 2012; after the election, my guess is that the Dow will close at 13,785 and the S&P will close at: 1,473.
I am currently in the stock market because my company who I work for had an employee stock purchase plan and a 401k. I had both company stock and 401k plan. I currently putting about 10% to 15% of my income into the stock market and 30% to 40% of my income into a whole life insurance. No savings ,money market, and CD.
DOW will be 14,150 at close of November 7, 2012 trading session.
S&P will be at 1,878 at close of trading on November 7, 2012.
I hope I win.
DOW (Closing) Guess for 11-7-2012: … 13,991
S&P will be down 36.27%
The DOW will close at 13,820.50 on November 7th the day after the presidental election.
My guess is that Dow will close at 12,750 on Nov 7th, 2012.
Pamela, I submit the DOW will slip below 10,000 the day after the US presidential election. Due to the unfortunate occurrence of citizen majority re-election of our current leader?
Dow 13,548.94, S&P 1,357.34.
DOW 13,629 S&P 1,485
This is positive thinking of Romney being elected and thinking they will bounce up with a brighter outlook.
With the advise of my new Bank on Yourself adviser, I moved my existing 401K funds out of the mutual funds and into a bond fund. When a friend of mine mentioned the 205 point drop in the Dow on Friday i just smiled. Not to worry.
Dow 13237 S&P 1399
My guess, and I do mean guess . S&P 1397.00 Dow 12,969.00 Steve
13752 Dow 1475 S&P
Dow = 13489
S&P = 1445
The Dow will close at 14984 and the S&P will close at 1522.
My estimate is
I think the DOW should be at 12760.12 and S&P should be 1296
Dow = 13,333 and S&P = 1333
The Dow will be at 13,800
Dow – 13,401.35
S & P – 1,356.19
S & P 1300
1. If a retired person transfers their traditional ira to a roth ira and they do not have a roth ira, but are over 59 1/2, do they have to wait 5 years to access their tax-free gains from that ?
2. If someone can not have a roth ira because of their high income, so they do a non-deductible ira instead, can they then transfer this ira to a roth ira and wait 5 years and age 59 1/2 before they access the tax-free gains?
I believe the Dow will close at 12.255, and the S&P 1200
Dow 14343 S&P 1533
BO wins – DOW – 13000
S&P – 1295
MR wins – DOW – 13500
S & P – 1350
S&P 500 1460
DOW at 13,835 end-of-trading Nov 7
The Dow: 15,543.51
The S&P: 1633.43
Not in the market.
DOW will be at:
S&P will be at:
Dow will be 14445
S&P will be 1457
Dow will close at 10,000 and S&P will close at 1000.00
Ok Romney is the one!
Dow = 13543
SP @ 1475—DOW @ 13581
The Dow will close at 14015 and the S&P will close at 1412.
The Dow will close at 13253.
The S&P will close at 1343
S & P: 1325
Dow – 1368.50
S & P 1,351.19
Dow at 12800. S&P at 1300
Romney/Ryan wins – Dow 13,714 S&P – 1477
On November 7 , 2012, the Dow will close at 14,500 and the S & P 1,375
DOW – 13278.49
S&P 500 – 1416.07
Dow — 14,572
S&P — 1133
… to cover both good and bad news of election results.
oct 2012 prediction after election dow-_ 13,200—–s&p 1450
S & P 1520
Dow – 13,152
S&P – 1,410
S AND P: 1375
DOW 13, 045
My guess is Dow at 13522
S&P 500 at 1439
Not sure who the Presidential winner will be
My guess is:
S & P: 1319
Dow = 13,358.26
S&P 500 = 1415.90
Dow = 13512
S & P = 1462
My guesstimates are
S & P: 1400
DOW; 13,729 S&P;1,446
On Nov. 7, I think the indexes will be:
DOW => 12000
S&P => 1200
Dow at 14175, S&P at 1487
Dow will be at 11,111.00
S&P will be at 1,111.00
Dow will be 14,002.
S & P will be 1,506.
DOW will close at 13,802
S&P will close at 1472
Dow at 12,337
S&P at 1,329
Obama wins, Dow down to 12,850 (gold up $75), S&P close at 1,350. i have stopped participating in the market…no need to!
Dow will close at 13,752 and S&P will close at 1473.
Gonna go LOW!
How about Dow closing at 12794 and the S&P at 1357.
Dow at 13,500
S&P at 1,400
S & P: 1,247.53
S&P 500: 1,365
Dow: 12,837 S&P: 1,474
Dow – 12,510
S&P – 1330
Dow: 14,111, S&P: 1477
Dow 12,628 S&P: 1,344
Dow: 13093.45 S&P 1446
Dow 13600 S&P 1487
Mike M. Says:
Dow 13422.62 S&P 1424.55
Matthew C :
S&P 500 1396
S & P 1424
Pamela – thanks for running context- my guess was based on a couple of factors – continued slow down in Europe, fiscal cliff scaring folks, risk of taxes going way up on capital gains, and that I thought Obama would be reelected. I hate being right about that last item, but hey I won $250!!!
Keep on putting money in BOY – it is the way to go